Q: How do I get a library card?
A: You have two options:
• You may come in person and present I.D. with your name, address, and photo verifying that you live in Ossining. Photo id without an address is also acceptable along with current bills, leases, rent receipts, check books.
• You may apply online by completing the online application and submitting it. You must come in and present I.D with your name and address to pick up the card. Library cards are ready to be picked up three business days after the application is submitted. You may call 914-941-2416 ext 305 at any time to determine whether or not your card is ready.
Q: How old does my child have to be to get a card?
A: A child of any age is eligible for a library card. A parent or legal guardian must accompany the child to the library, help complete or complete the application, and present id with their name and address. Children may also apply online completing the Children's Application. They must come in to the library with a parent or legal guardian to pick up the card once the application has been submitted and after three business days have passed. Young people age 12, or, in 7th grade or higher may apply for an Adult card with photo id and proof of residency.
Q: I don't live in Ossining. May I get a card here?
A: If you live anywhere in Westchester County, you may obtain a library card from the village/town in which you reside. Once you have gotten the card, you may use it in any public library in Westchester County.
Q: May I get a card if I don't live in Westchester?
A: You have two possible options:
• If you work or go to school in Westchester, you may obtain a card from the town/village in which you attend school or in which you work. You must present I.D. verifying where you live and verification of school attendance/work site.
• If you do not work or attend school in Westchester, you may purchase a yearly card from the Westchester Library System for a fee of $75. Applications may be completed at any public library in Westchester and sent with a copy of your id and check payable to WLS to the Westchester Library System. WLS staff will process your application and a card will be mailed to your home.
Q: Do you charge for replacement library cards?
A: We do charge a nominal fee of $1 for the first lost card; $2 for the second lost card; and thereafter, $5 for lost cards.
Q: May I renew items?
A: You may renew certain materials once using your library card to do so. Any item on hold or already renewed cannot automatically be renewed again. It may be renewed at the discretion of the staff. Certain materials are not available for renewal and any questions regarding their availability for renewal should be discussed with staff.
Q: May I renew by phone, or do I have to come in to the library?
A: You have three options:
• You may renew by phone using your library card and by calling 914-941-2416 extension 305.
• You can call Telecirc (914-674-4169). You'll need your library card when you call. It's an automated serveice; just follow the prompts as they are presented to you.
• Click on this link to renew online from the library's site. You'll need your library card number.
Have another question? Please feel free to contact us.