My name is Amanda Curley. I have lived in Ossining with my family since 1992. During that time, it was an honor to be elected Trustee, Ossining Union Free School Board, for two terms, six years. During that service, and during the time when my three sons, Ben, Dylan and Scott, attended and graduated from our schools, I became deeply familiar with both the excellence of and challenges to education in our diverse community.
Education is my profession, and literacy is my professional specialty. Now retired, I offer my experience to our community to be a Trustee of the Ossining Public Library. I would dedicate my service to meet the State’s Trustee mandate: support our qualified Director; implement adopted policies; govern the library’s operations; engage and evaluate near- and long-term planning; secure operating funds; and work with the Board and the Director to insure that expenditures are within budget authorization.
- Trustee, Board of Education, Ossining Union Free School District
- Executive Board Representative, Westchester/Putnam School Board Association
- Member, School Access Program Volunteer, New York Metropolitan Opera Guild
- Member, Friends Committee on National Legislation
- Election Inspector, Westchester County Board of Elections
- Volunteer, New Castle Meals on Wheels
- President, AC Strategies, Education and Grant Funding Consultation, 2014-Present
- Executive Director, Curriculum and Instruction, 2003-2014, Yonkers Public Schools
- Reading Specialist, Classroom Instruction, Grades K-12, 1991-2003,Yonkers Public Schools
- ESL/ABE Teacher, Evening/Summer Adult Education Center, 1991-2002, Yonkers Public Schools
- Classroom Teacher, 1987-1991, Our Lady of Victory and Yonkers Public Schools
- English Teacher to Vietnamese Refugees, Singapore, 1984-1985, United Nations High Commission
- Master of Science, Administration and Supervision, Fordham University
- Master of Science, Reading Specialization, Curriculum and Teaching, Fordham University
- Bachelor of Arts, English Literature, University of California Santa Barbara
- Old Mill Singers, Ossining, Member, Board Secretary
- Northern Star Quilters’ Guild, Member
- Inningwood Road Book Club, Founding Member
Most importantly, I sincerely believe that reading brings richness to our lives. I believe in the mission of our Library to bring that gift to our diverse community: “… to provide easy and equal access to the broadest range of information and ideas….” It would be an honor to join the Board of Trustees in their important work to make that happen.